Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My Racquel Natividad Experience Part 2

It's a crisp Wednesday morning and Coco and I are on our way again to Rakel Tattoo Shop at Sta. Cruz, Laguna. We've already considered the shop one of our new found homes because of how welcome we felt coming from the hospitality of Ms. Racquel and Sir Macus. So, the 3-hour trip from Manila wasn't so bad.


After checking out the outlines from the previous session, Ms. Racquel and Sir Macus set up the familiar station that was to be my hot seat for the next 12 hours. Ms. Racquel began tattooing the upper half of my sleeve, starting with the pine tree. She told me that in order for her to get all the color combinations right, she has to tattoo the colors in layers which means that she was going back to some spots and tattoo them all over again. I didn't even think of the pain that will cost me because I have committed myself to this project and hence would gladly accept everything that it entails. 


While I was being tattooed, Ms. Racquel talked a lot about her career. She told me the story of how she got into tattooing, how she started, and the likes. Like most great artists and their careers, hers came unbelievably naturally. I admire the way she talked about her dedication to her art and profession, that in tattooing, you never stop learning how to improve your techniques. It's one thing to improve in the skill of tattooing, and it's another to never stop learning.


Just like in all aspects of life, there also exists the element of ethics in tattooing. Being ethical in one's professionalism in tattooing is vital in the longevity of a tattoo artist's career. There's cleanliness and sanitation that one must take into the utmost importance to avoid the risk of cross-contaminations. There's also the professional relationship between artist and the client as well as amongst artists themselves. All of these I learned from Ms. Racquel. So as I was sitting there listening to her talk about all these things, I felt so lucky to be able to grab all of these first-hand. It was like reading an interview of her in a tattoo magazine. It all the more made me feel so lucky to be able to work with her, to get my very own Racquel Natividad sleeve.


The whole tattoo session lasted for 12 hours, the upper half of the sleeve already done and me getting strength from 1 liter of Milo and 4 tablets of mefenamic acid. I didn't mind the killer pain because whenever I looked at my tattoo in the mirror, I can't help but smile at the sight of a new masterpiece on my arm. I didn't think it would look this beautiful, all of my expectations exceeded exponentially. I cannot wait for my sleeve to finish, but with all things created in perfection, my artwork simply cannot be hurried. Here are some pictures from second session, enjoy!


work station/area


media center


ink and supplies station















8 comments:

  1. ang lupit ang tindi wala akong masabe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why Red Cat? Awesome colour Combination asual and Beautiful design , Great piece of work goodluck for finishing touches .

    ESZURC Tattooing, Toronto On. Can

    ReplyDelete
  3. tibay mo talaga dyanne. at ang lupit ni rakel sobra. sana makapagpa-tattoo rin ako sa kanya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bert2, thanks for the compliment. Well, the red cat is just something I would like to be of a symbolic representation of myself, nothing more than that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. love it,..nakakalibang basahin yung blog ni ate dyanne,...and astig,...i didn't thought that it hurts ng sobra na kakailanganin pa uminum ng mefenamic acid 4 times,...love you ate dyanne,...

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey tracey thanks! well, imagine being tattooed for 12 straight hours, it really is going to take a toll on your pain tolerance. :)

    ReplyDelete